We previously reviewed the Logitech K811 Illuminated Bluetooth Keyboard that operated 3 Apple devices from one keyboard. All these features came at a hefty $100 price. That keyboard is now scarce with prices over $150. For this amount you get an aluminum Bluetooth® keyboard with a full complement of function keys. It sounds like a rip-off, doesn’t it?
As competition, GMYLE has introduced a similar Bluetooth keyboard with illuminated keys that work with Macs, iOS, Windows and Android devices. It uses typical scissor keys with a stainless steel back, just like Apple’s own keyboard. But unlike the competition, it lists for $50, but discounts can be found around $35! It comes in white or silver.
Unlike the Logitech keyboard, the GMYLE keyboard offers a choice of 7 backlit colors at the touch of a key: blue, green, purple, red, yellow, white, and cyan. In addition there are 2 brightness levels as well as off.
The GMYLE Illuminated Keyboard includes a rechargeable battery that is good for 64 hours and 100 hours of standby time. Charging is done with an included micro-USB 3.0 cable that takes 2 hours for a full charge.
There is an LED light that blinks when it is time to charge. When it turns green, charging is completed. This same LED light also doubles as a Caps Lock indicator.
Although this keyboard does not technically have a Command key, if you press the WIN key, it will function exactly like a Command key.
Of course, the slim instruction sheet never informs you of this dilemma. What do you expect for a keyboard with all these features under $40?
The GMYLE Keyboard uses Bluetooth® to connect with your iPad. The installation instructions are quite simple:
- Hold the FN and C buttons together to initiate pairing.
- Go to Settings in your iPad’s app and go to Bluetooth® and locate devices.
- Turn on the keyboard’s power and press the Bluetooth®® button at the rear of the keyboard cover for pairing.
- Check to see if your GMYLE keyboard is listed under Devices and says Connected. That’s it!
- As suggested above, the GMYLE Keyboard is super thin with a 1 cm thickness. This is made possible by its aluminum construction. It measures 28cm x 13.5 cm.
- The GMYLE uses many Apple function keys to control volume up/down, delete, etc.
- The keyboard is extremely comfortable to use. The installation makes it extremely simple to pair with your device.
- A Caps Lock light lets you know the current operation
- When this same light starts blinking, it is time to recharge.
- Although the keys are large enough, they are spaced closer together than comparable keyboards.
- After 10 minutes or less of non-use, the keyboard goes to sleep and the user is forced to turn the keyboard’s power button off and then on.
- Unlike other keyboard covers, there is only one typing position (15º angle). If you are comfortable with this position, this may not be an issue.
If you look at the pros and cons of this keyboard, you may not be inclined to make this a serious purchase. However, when you couple your concerns with the price of this keyboard, it makes it a no-brainer.
This would have been better keyboard if the manufacturer would offer the user an option to turn the going-to-sleep feature on or off.
If you don’t like some of the issues with this keyboard the price alone should convince you to buy it if nothing else but to use it as a separate keyboard. Good luck finding a $35 Bluetooth® keyboard!
The GMYLE Illuminated Bluetooth Keyboard offers many features at a bargain price. For value purchasers, this keyboard is a serious one to consider.